Bring birds and pollinators to your home today by growing native plants. Find the best plants for the pollinators and birds for your yard. Growing bird-friendly plants will attract and protect the birds you love while making your space beautiful, easy to care for, and better for the environment. Explore native plant resources here!
The Audubon's Native Plant Database
Searching for bird-friendly plants has never been so easy! Click on the link below, enter your zip code, and a list of the best plants for birds in your area will be populated.
As a matter of fact, there is a plethora of Audubon-hosted resources you should check out as you plan your bird-friendly home and property updates:
- Things to Consider Before Hitting the Nursery | Doing a little homework before you go to the nursery will help make the transition to native plants easier.
- Cornell Botanic Gardens: News | Regular updates from Cornell Botanic Gardens, including information on upcoming lectures and events.
- How to Make Your Yard Bird-Friendly | Make your yard or patio a safe haven for birds in the face of climate change. Native plants provide ideal habitat and food.
- Bird-Friendly Plant FAQ | Got Questions? We have answers.
- Why Native Plants Are Better for Birds and People | Bird-friendly landscaping provides food, saves water, and fights climate change.
- Turn a Schoolyard Into an Outdoor Classroom | A Minnesota school restored an overgrown field into original prairie habitat.
- From Goats to Grandparents | How Huntington-Oyster Bay Audubon is making a difference.
- How Urban Landscapers Use Native Plants to Create Habitats for Wildlife | Increasingly, popular public spaces are using a conservation-oriented gardening philosophy that can also transform communities.
- Grow These Native Plants So Your Backyard Birds Can Feast | Native plants beat even the best bird feeder. Here's what to put in your garden to transform it into a year-round wonderland.
- Making Seed Balls to Help Birds | With this simple DIY, you can spread the power of native plants far and wide.
- Brighten Up Your Balcony or Patio with a DIY Native-Plant Garden | Even apartment dwellers can lure birds to their windows with container gardens. Here's how to get yours ready for spring migration.
- How One Neighborhood Saved Millions of Gallons of Water with Native Plants | This Colorado community saved 15 million gallons of water in just one year.
The following documents are available for you to download:
- Cornell's Lab of Ornithology's Creating a Garden for Birds
- The USDA's Pollinator-Friendly Plants for the Northeast United States
- The Xerces Society's List of Pollinator Conservation Resources – Northeast Region
We always ask that you shop local when purchasing your native plants and other items.
- The Plantsmen Nursery | Groton, NY